Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 03:34:11
From:      Greg Durka <gdurka@mail.monmouth.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   no ftp

My system is a 486dx IBM clone desktop. I installed freebsd 2.2.7 from a
dos directory, using the .bin files for the kernel and the manual. The
installation disk would not ftp transfer the files from your website even
after the internet connection was made manually, with the "term" function.
It returned the error message: "Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'."
 The hostname was not ftp.freebsd.org, it was gdurka.monmouth.com. The
domain name was monmouth.com.

After installation, the ppp program seems to connect to the internet OK,
but the ftp command will not login to any website. The following is a sample:

gdurka# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON gdurka> dial n
Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0 errno: Network is unreachable
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: 842-1079
dial ok!
login ok!
ppp ON gdurka> packet mode (This is returned by the program. Please note
that ppp is in lower case, not upper case.)
ppp ON gdurka> shell
gdurka> ftp
ftp> open ftp.roxen.com
ftp: ftp.roxen.com: unknown host

or

ftp> open 194.52.182.8
ftp: connect: no route to host

The host.conf file lists: bind, hosts. In that order. I tried it with
hosts, bind, that didn't work. In the hosts file I tried:

10.0.0.1             gdurka.monmouth.com gdurka

and

ISP's DNS number     gdurka.monmouth.com gdurka

Neither worked.

I want to get rid of msdos and windows, but I can't until this program is
running satisfactorily. In order to run an internet browser, and xwindows,
the programs have to be downloaded from the net. Any advice would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

FreeBSD gdurka.monmouth.com 2.2.7- RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7- RELEASE #0: Wed
Jul 22
08:48:29 GMT 1998  root@builder.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386