Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 21:51:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lance <lancez@accessld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, lacnez@accessld.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Lance wrote:

> I was able to install my Freebsd 2.0.5 and reboot it today (with the
> help of you people) Now I am trying to add a communication card
> to the PC. However, it won't reboot this time. The IRQ of I/O base
> address of the card are manufacturer configured to IRQ 5 and at 240h,
> respectively. I got the following message when rebooting:

2.0.5? Ouch.  I'd recommend upgrading ASAP.

> wd0: 814MB (1667232 sectors), 1654 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 not found at 0x170
> bt0 not found at 0x330
> uha0 not found at 0x330
> ahc1 not found
> ahb0 not found
> aha0 not found at 0x330
> aic0 not found at 0x340
> nca0 not found at 0x1f88
> nca1 not found at 0x350
> sea0 not found
> wt0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with ed1 at 0x300
> mcd0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with ed1 at 0x300
> mcd1: timeout getting status
> mcd1 not found at 0x340
>

> and then the machine hung there. I tried to change the board's
> IRQ and I/O address to different values and it still didn't work.

type '-c' at the Boot: prompt, and 'disable' the devices that you aren't
using (the ones that come up 'not found' in the list above).  You can use
the 'irq' command to set the IRQ, and 'port' likewise for the I/O base.

2.1.0 and later have a nice 'visual userconfig' that makes this easy.

> So, is there any utility in Freebsd that I can use to find the
> current IRQs in use? I remember that in SCO UNIX there is such
> one (/etc/conf/cf.d/vectorsinuse). How could I configure IRQ and
> I/O base address?

Utils like Norton SysInfo or Norton Diagnostics or MSD can give this info.
Also check your device drivers.