Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS HEADS UP (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/nfs nfsm_subs.h  xdr_subs.h)

:>     Does anyone know why our NFS clients are sending a separate RPC for each
:>     8K buffer?  If the dirty space is contiguous across a number of buffers
:>     we should be able to send a *SINGLE* commit rpc to the server.  That would
:>     greatly reduce system overhead on both the client and server when writing
:...
:ASAP. The last hurdle (seemingly) on my big project at work that I've been
:bugging so many of you about is the fact that FreeBSD NFS client writing to
:Sun NFS server is just DOG slow. I did some pretty extensive testing on
:this and couldn't come up with any client option twidding that made any
:difference, except increasing wsize to 16k, which got me about 10%, but it
:was still very slow. This is on a -current system from around the tenth of
:August.
:
:Doug

    Well, this is definitely optimization I would love to do, but first
    I need to know whether it's legal to combine NFSv3 commit RPCs.  If
    there are any NFS experts out there, I'm all ears!  This would get rid
    of half the rpc transaction traffic for sequential writes.

    My read of the code seems to infer that it *is* legal.

    There's another optimization which was submitted to me which gets rid
    half the stat rpcs which I haven't even had time to look at yet.

    These particular optimizations would not reduce aggregate network
    bandwidth but it would cut the cpu load on the client and server in
    half for operations in question.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>