Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:55:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        mikel@zso.dec.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering?

> >These pairs are tied together with differential SCSI bus to shared storage
> >for "clustering".  Specifically, they were used for NT "Wolfpack".
> >
> >Does anyone know if FreeBSD already has the smarts to handle this sort of
> >configuration, or would I be having write device drivers to make use of
> >it?

You might have to write the drivers.  If you can get hardware docs
along with the machines that would be a good thing to do, in any
case.

> >Can you see any reason I should not try to acquire this equipment?  I
> >could skip the shared storage, differential SCSI, etc. and save some money
> >if it's known the FreeBSD would not like it.
> >
> >Please reply to me directly ('though I am on the list) as the rest of the
> >list probably won't be interested.
>
>    FreeBSD doesn't support shared filesystems. You would need to add support
> for that into FFS and presumably get or implement a distributed lock manager.

The David Sarnoff stuff supports this.  It would not be too
difficult to hack up the disctubted memory coherency manager
to use low level SCSI I/O primitives to support this.

Also, SGI continues to threaten to release XFS sources, which are
capable of supporting this kind of configuration (the biggest issue
there is the same as on NT, since NTFS has a single log lock per
volume, and XFS has a single journal lock per volume).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.