Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:49:34 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        ajs@labs.mot.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CompactPCI PPC platforms

Hi Aaron,

> I'm guessing that one would need kernel support for
> the PCI bridge chips used on the various host and peripheral boards and
> support, if not already available, for the onboard disks and various
> other peripheral interfaces which may use a particular chipset not
> common on desktops or notebooks.

 That's right, and also boot loader work to support the ROMs on your
boards (PPCBUG ?).

> How far does the current FreeBSD-PPC implementation have to go until it
> would be ready for this type of work?

 A reasonable amount. The initial goal is to have a stable system on
Apple hardware, and then to start supporting embedded platforms.

> How much, if any, of the NetBSD PPC implementation is being integrated
> into the FreeBSD implementation?

 NetBSD was the starting point, although it's diverging quite a bit
due to the differences in kernel internals (e.g. 5.0 interrupt threads).

> I may have some PICMG 2.16 equipment including G4 equipped boards
> available next year.  They would not be available for full-time
> development, but if I can manage to get some additional disks for the
> boards, I'm hoping to be able to swap them for the "production boards"
> when I'm not using the chassis for my normal work.

 Sounds like a fun project :-)

later,

Peter.