Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:27:25 -0800
From:      obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/contrib/gcc/config/i386 freebsd-elf.h freebsd.h

Mikael Karpberg writes:
> > >   Add _BSD4_4 as a predefined symbol.
> >
> > What ever came out of this discussion?  2.2 candidate, or dead end?
>
> It's not really needed. What about:
>
> ==== myprogconfig.h ====
>
> #if defined(FreeBSD) || defined(OpenBSD) || defined(NetBSD)
> #define MYBSDDEF
> #endif
>
> ========================
>
> There you have your single define. It's very simple to do, and it works on
> old versions of the OSes too.

You missed the point.  Now what happens when we have FooBSD, a take off
of one of the above?  Then the code breaks.

> Ofcourse, I don't think it hurts to have that _BSD4_4 define either.
> Only thing it does is give a very minor polution to the define namespace.

I wouldn't really call it namespace polution.  _* is not in the
programmer's namespace.  And I don't think the compiler is near exausting
the number of strings in the _* namespace.

--
-- David	(obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)