Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:43:49 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

At 12:53 PM 9/24/2001, Peter Lockhart wrote:
>A poll on that bastion of unbiased news reporting otherwise known as CNN,
>reported about 87% of Americans polled supporting whatever action Bush
>proposed. The vast majority of American citizens I'm sure, almost oblivious
>of the fact that Bin Laden was on their payroll only a few years earlier.

Again, even if most Americans don't know this (and I would doubt most
citizens worldwide know it), does it at all justify his doing such a
thing?  Can you really tell me that America "deserved" this sort of attack
for allying with the man years before?

Of course, it kills me how many arguments in this thread are build on the
premise that Americans are so ignorant of world events and politics that
they shouldn't be allowed to devise their own policy.  Besides showing me a
whole new level of anti-American sentiment, it just doesn't fly.  And I
really would like to know what countries you all are representing (U.K.,
Australia, India, etc) and see how YOUR countries leaders have stacked up
on this issue.

>I think it's this sort of reason that has people worried as to the
>hot-headed actions of the US. There seems to be little, if any,
>understanding as to the mechanics of world politics for the American public
>since their general world-events clue comes from CNN and similar networks.

It's been nearly two weeks now since the attacks occurred, and there still
has been NO OFFICIAL MILITARY ACTION ON PART OF THE UNITED STATES.  Lots of
meetings, lots of talks between high-level diplomats, but no military
action.  How is this hot-headed?

Furthermore, given the widespread support that has been extended by the
world's leaders and the show of moral support from citizens of every
nationality across the globe, I'm hard pressed to believe that our position
is wrong.  Can you recall any time in modern history where one country has
had such widespread support on any issue?

>Within hours of the attack CNN had lined up every possible expert opinion
>pointing fingers Bin Laden's way. This soon included countries harbouring
>terrorists. Fingers pointed to Afghanistan. A press conference by the
>Taleben which was called within hours of the attack, was interrupted 1
>minute into it because it obviously wasn't exciting enough to maintain
>viewership. Every possible news item to generate hate the way of the East
>with almost no time going towards possibly looking at what would motivate
>people to do this or hearing what those accused had to say. Not too much
>better than state-owned propoganda it would seem.

And I'm still waiting for somebody from another country to show me the
unbiased news source.  I really would like to subscribe.

I personally think state-run media is rather limiting, but guess what--some
citizens actually *like* their state-run media.  And who am I to tell them
that their wrong, that their country's decisions are less valid because I
don't think they're as educated as I am about their politics?  I'm better
off spitting into the wind.

>Of course what the public thinks doesn't (necessarily) drive what Bush does,
>but it makes it awful hard for him to say "Uh sorry, we were barking up the
>wrong tree" if real evidence identified another culprit. And with the
>citizen's scrutiny away from their own government's previous actions, it
>means they're more ready to accept reduced civil liberties (which I see
>people are already prepared to do judging by a few polls floating around).

You're making chicken and egg arguments here.  In this case, it doesn't
matter whether Bush's actions are influenced by public opinion or
vice-versa.  The two are almost completely in sync.  And I believe that is
what most of the world is really afraid of.

--Chip Morton