Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:51:44 +0000
From:      Trent Nelson <trent@limekiln.vcisp.net>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@bel.bc.ca>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI throttle doesn't cool CPU

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 11:18:31PM -0800, Sean Hamilton wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After setting hw.acpi.cpu.performance_speed to 1, a dmesg of
>
> acpi_cpu0: set speed to 6.2%
>
> and a dog slow system, I am still finding my CPU pumping out heat. It's an
> AMD 1333 with an A7V board. Is this typical behaviour? If so, I'll just
> underclock the CPU in the bios. I was hoping to be able to run it at full
> speed during builds.

    I use ``fvcool'' and machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=1 to give a pretty impre-
    ssive cooling effect.  When fvcool is running, the CPU temperature
    drops by about 10 degrees Celsius when idle.

    That said, I've just turned fvcool off to see if it's having some-
    thing to do with the ATA drive errors I'm experiencing.  So far, no
    more drive errors, but that could mean just about anything.

        Trent.