Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:29:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: More world breakage

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Brian Somers wrote:

> > I'm quite happy to DTRT(tm); I'm unsure that backing this change out
> > _is_ the right thing however.  Can we discuss it some more first please?
>
> I think that getflags()/setflags() should stay where they are, but I
> can't comment on the namespace pollution issue.  If/When the
> functions are renamed, they'll probably break make world again
> (because the new libc and old install will be there for a while), but
> to be honest, this *is* current.
>
> I think the issue to focus on is the function names.

I agree that folks should read current, and be able to do fixes.  Do the
fix, though, in a way that *doesn't* require yet another fix later on, and
post the extraordinary steps clearly here, in a "HEADS-UP" mail that folks
will definitely see, and maybe stick something in UPDATING too?

At least, give everyone a fair chance, don't embed the fix as the end of a
1,000 words of context email, at the end of a long thread.  That wouldn't
be fair.  Not for extraordinary breakage.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.