Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:25:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      sepp@saargate.de
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/24705: Bug concerning Xwrapper/XFree86-4.0.2

>Number:         24705
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Bug concerning Xwrapper/XFree86-4.0.2
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:

	The bug was able to be reproduced on several systems (I was
        exclusively able to test it on i386 machines) with
        FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE with the original rights on it.
        The hardware etc. does not matter.

	The bug occured when I was trying to start my recently installed
        XFree86-4.0.2 (installed by the ports) with the little help of
        Xwrapper that is delivered with the dists of xfree. Together with a
        script I wrote, every tiny little user (without any special rights)
        on your system is able to shut it down (like doing "halt").

>How-To-Repeat:

	All you need to reproduce this problem is a current version of
        Xwrapper with x-right, that you get by ftp for example, an account
        (e.g. telnet) and a
        self-written script called .xserverrc, that contains following
        phrase:
        exec Xwrapper $dspnum &args
        It is _very important_ that you use an "&" instead of "$" in front
        of "args"!
        After all, you configurate your script with the typical rights (e.g.
        "777"), execute "startx" (you will have x-right for it by
        default), and the systems shuts down its daemons.
        By the way: You do not need root-rights...

>Fix:

	I have fixed it by reconfigure the rights of some executable files
        that you can mostly find in /usr/X11R6/bin like startx, xinit or X
        for example.