Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:21:42 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, developers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!  MFC's

-On [20001027 19:05], Alfred Perlstein (bright@wintelcom.net) wrote:
>* Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl> [001027 09:53] wrote:
>> You totally miss the point I was trying to communicate across.
>>
>> While I strive to make sure everything I MFC is tested it can always
>> happen that something for some reason blows up.
>>
>> Some things are just beyond your control.
>
>That's understandable, and if things are proceeding as normal then
>there's no reason for potentially creating panic for the users.

No I understand, but given that STABLE should be guarded more than
CURRENT when it comes to noticing our userbase of potential ``dangerous'
source update times I think the mail I sent out was justified and not
trying to cause panic.  I see which point of view you are coming from
though.

>However, if there's an 'MFC rush' then I think that's not the right
>way to go about doing it.

With rush I am referring back to 4.1-RELEASE of 4.0-RELEASE MFC's.  That
wasn't pretty in the least.  As well as the last few weeks/months of
immediate MFC's.

>> I am just giving people a warning to be careful the next few days in
>> updating their system as I am sure the MFC rushing of some things might
>> occur again.
>
>Again, if you are _sure_ that there will be problems then please
>don't, if you aren't _sure_ then there's no reason to make people
>fear the next release.

I am sure that I am testing things before committing, as well as reading
the logs to see what everything is about.  I am not even considering
major impact changes for MFC.

I think the STABLE crowd knows my MFC's by know.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands