Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:14:23 +0200
From:      Frank Sonnemans <frank.sonnemans@euronet.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help installing FreeBSD on Compaq Notebook

I will need some help getting FreeBSD installed on a Compaq Armada 4100
Notebook. After trying many different installation schemes I am running out
of ideas.

I have tried ftp based installs and nfs based installs using a plip
connection, but both failed. Following the harddrive configuration and
labeling the system shows me that it is connecting to the ftp server or nfs
share and then stops. Sometimes using nfs it will show something like
extracting bin into / and than stops without errors.

This installation has been a nightmare of problems. First of all it turned
out that the floppy disk tracking is off. I cannot use a diskette made on
another system. Initially the system ran windows which enabled me to use a
laplink cable to upload the two installation disks to the notebook. The
disks makde on the notebook itself load fine. Problem is that I have been
unable to create additional disks this way since my install efforts have
resulted in a repartitioned drive.

I have two other PC's which I tried to use to get the install going. A
pentium PC with a CD-Rom drive (my main workstation) and an old 486 without
a cdrom (my internet gateway). Both run FreeBSD 4.0 stable.

Unfortunately I cannot get a plip connection between the workstation and
the notebook to work. So I copied the complete 4.0 release cd to the 486.
The 486 supports a plip connection to the notebook.

Unfortunately the ftp install with a copy of the files on the 486 did not
work, nor did the nfs install. The nfs install just stops when trying to
extract the bin distribution. The ftp installation quits with different
errors: "couldn't open 4.0_release dir", "account needs password", etc.

when I start an emergency shell I can manually mount the nfs share and
execute commands from my network. Therefore I do not understand why the nfs
install fails. I suspect now that the harddrive is causing problems.

I have not yet tried a floppy disk based install nor a ppp based install. I
could not create the floppies. I tried doing this with a nfs mounted
system, running the commands of the network, but the notebook computer
seems to run out of swap space which results in a frozen system.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

Can I use the commands available on the mfs-root disk to manually format /
disklabel my drive so that I can do a manual install?

Regards,

frank