Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:18:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Peter <stefan@omega.ailab.sztaki.hu>
To:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startx

> The problem probably is in videomode U've choosen.
> If ur monitor's properties relevant to HSYNC VSYNC
> etc dont agree with those choosen X will fail to start.
But how can I find the proper videomode? I tried the standard,
640x468x256, this setting should have worked, but it didn't work at all.
Of course when I used startx. And when I configured using /Graphical
X111 config, it was perfect, even in cases of higher resolutions
(1024x768). The graphical screen appeared, without any errors. How it is
possible to preserve these settings for startx. What's the difference
between the /stand/sysinstall's X-server initialization (which works), and
the startx's initialization (which does not)?

> See ur error log.
(--) ET4000W32: Ramdac speed: 86
(--) ET4000W32: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 86.000 MHz
(--) ET4000W32: There is no mode definition named "1024x768"
*** A configured device found, but display modes could not be resolved.***

Which error-log do you mean? The previous is from the xdm-errors. It says
that mode 1024x768 cannot be resolved. But where startx (or xinit, or xdm)
looks for "1024x768" identifier in the file-system. How this information,
1024x768 is used starting the X-server.

> try to start xdm in nodaemon mode to see what happened
> in real time.
Unfortunately nothing happened.

You, see I want to backtrack the resolution of "1024x768". Maybe a file is
missing from somewhere.

Unfortunately I have no idea, what to do! Absolutely!

So?

Cheers,
Peter