Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:05:03 -0500
From:      Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tmux and konsole characters

--------------enig3F2626B3A138AD4133F01FC1

On 02/02/13 11:22, Joshua Isom wrote:
> On 2/2/2013 9:51 AM, Andre Goree wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with tmux on certain ssh connections.  When I
>> connect to my freebsd server's tmux session that has multiple panes in=

>> one window, everything looks fine.  However, when I connect to my linu=
>> box, I get this weird character [1] instead of a line as I would expec=
t.

>> Any ideas on how I can fix this?  Really just an annoyance rather than=
>> real issue, but I'm sure someone has come across this before and fixed=

>> it.  Googling wasn't much help -- though I did find some solutions, th=
ey
>> did not work for me.
>>
>> [1]http://www.drenet.net/images/snapshot2.png
>>

>=20
> It's just a $TERM issue by the looks of it.  If you set $TERM in any of=

> your .cshrc scripts, or .profile, it's probably set to something
> different than what Konsole's using.  Try running `setenv TERM
> xterm-color` before running tmux and see if that fixes it.  Run `echo
> $TERM` just so you can know what it is set to.  You'll have to track
> down where it changes to prevent it in the future.

Thanks, I'm actually using bash as a shell, probably should've mentioned
that.  Anywho:

[agoree@desktop ~]$ grep TERM .*
=2Ebash_history:echo $TERM
=2Eprofile:# Setting TERM is normally done through /etc/ttys.  Do only
override
=2Eprofile:# TERM=3Dcons25;         export TERM

[agoree@desktop agoree]$ echo $TERM
xterm

Looks like it's not being set in .profile (it's commented), and echoing
$TERM displays "xterm".  So it would appear I'm not changing it anywhere.=

I tried the following, and get the same weird looking characters in
place of lines when connecting to the remote box (which is running
Linux, btw):
[agoree@desktop agoree]$ echo $TERM
xterm
[agoree@desktop agoree]$ export TERM=3Dxterm-color
[agoree@desktop agoree]$ ssh sideswipe-dt
Last login: Sat Feb  2 10:34:53 2013 from 172.16.10.246
[agoree@sideswipe-DT ~]$ tmux attach

--=20
Andre Goree
andre@drenet.info