Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:35:53 +0100
From:      Blue Raccoon <blue.raccoon@wanadoo.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Problems with Scanjet 3400c

Hi,

I am VERY new to FreeBSD and am having serious problems setting up my HP
Scanjet 3400c. I installed the SANE back-end and it cannot find any scanners.
I don't think SANE is to blame though, because the dmesg command shows (among
other things) this:

uscanner0: Hew product 0x0405, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2
uscanner0: setting config no failed
device_attach: uscanner0 attach returned 6
uhub0: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed
uhub0: device problem (STALLED), disabling port 2

There is no point in loading the scanner from the command line, because
'kldload uscanner' brings up:

kldload: can't load uscanner: File exists

I compiled a kernel (just to see if I could), but the GENERIC kernel also
chokes on the scanner. I did include

device usb
device uhci
device ohci
device uscanner

in my kernel though.

I am running FreeBSD 6.0 (release) on a 4 year old PC (900 Mhz Pentium).
And the scanner is fine, by the way (No problems with XP).

I don't have a clue and would appreciate it if someone could help me out here,
or point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance,

Jay