Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 1996 18:03:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dennis Moore <nuance@twri.tamu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ircd password encryption

i was looking back through the mailing list archive, and i found that
others were having the same trouble we're currently having with ircd on
freebsd.  that is, it seems not to work when you #define
CRYPT_OPER_PASSWORD.

i think the trouble is with the type of encryption.  if you have des
encrypted passwords in the conf file, and freebsd is using md5 type
compression, it's obviously not going to work.  i even tried putting the
md5 encrypted password in the conf file, but that wouldn't work either..

anyway, i think the solution is to install des, because ircd can't handle
the md5 passwords.  i will try it as soon as someone gets here who can
install des.  don't forget you'll have to change your /etc/passwd passwords
too.

--
pity this busy monster, manunkind,           Dennis Moore, eboai          Sarah
not. Progress is a comfortable disease.        archon@tamu.edu        McLachlan