Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 19:13:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: write-protected usb flash drive

On Sun, 25 May 2014 13:31:30 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
 > >  > I like this option better than the Kanguru one,
 > >  > mostly because the kanguru drives seem to not be very robust;
 > >  > lots of failures reported.
 > >
 > > Gary, you've mentioned this several times.  Can you provide some links
 > > to reports of failures or unreliability of the kangaru drives?
 >
 > Reviews on Amazon:
 > http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-Flash-Physical-Protect-switch/product-reviews/B008OGNM8E/ref=dpx_acr_rat_t2_txt?showViewpoints=1
 >
 > I saw a similar mix of good plus failures two other places, but I can't come up
 > with them at the moment.  All of them indicated either failure out-of-the-box or
 > after a few months.

In a few cases.  On the URL you gave for the 16GB units, one of the
failures was after putting it through the wash!  I tend not to launder
electronic equipment, myself.  And still, 4 out of 5 isn't too bad.

For the 32GB SS3 part reviews are more favourable, 4.5 from 6 reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-Solutions-Flash-Write-Protect-KF3WP-32G/product-reviews/B008OGNMEI/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary/190-0260220-1047753?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescendinghttp://www.amazon.com/Kanguru-Solutions-Flash-Write-Protect-KF3WP-32G/product-reviews/B008OGNMEI/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary/190-0260220-1047753?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=byRankDescending
And again, one person apparently expected it to survive a wash cycle.

I'll wait and watch, and will look for a local supplier re warranty,
though on form the price might be near double ..

 > > PS I'm still slightly miffed that an American company is not only using
 > > our best-known national animal for its logo, but spells it the same way
 > > as a minorly famous Aussie cult band of the '70s and '80s .. moreover a
 > > band who would, I assure you, have had nothing to do with your DHS! :)
 >
 > Doesn't the whole world already know Americans under 45 can't spell?
 > No one I respect wants much to do with DHS either.  Or the CIA.
 > They need to have a choke-chain put on and pulled tight.  Plus a shock collar.

Now, who's that knocking at your door? :)

cheers, Ian