Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 2009 19:55:29 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        QIU Quan <jackqq@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are source updating mechanisms vulnerable to MITM attacks?

--------------enig175B4A5CF0C9616C79FBBE55

QIU Quan wrote:
> It seems CVSup uses clear text, with neither server authentication as
> SSH nor message authentication as PGP.
>=20
> Is it possible to poison the DNS records and fire a man-in-the-middle
> attack against the source updating procedure?

In principle, yes.  There have been no reports of this happening in the w=
ild
however.

> It seems portsnap uses a public key to verify downloads.
>=20
> Are there some source updating mechanisms with authentication or verifi=
cation?

freebsd-update(8), freebsd-update.conf(5)  You can use this just to pull =
down
the system sources I believe, but only for release branches, not for -CUR=
RENT
or -STABLE.

Installing from the cryptographically checksummed release .iso images, an=
then only applying the updates from the PGP signed advisory messages and
patches?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20