Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:31:31 +0300
From:      Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating cdrom

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:57:21PM +0000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> > I'd also recommend mkhybrid (/usr/ports/sysutils/mkhybrid) to create
> ISO9660
> > images. I successfully tried it myself. It can create hybrid Joilett,
> > Rockridge etc. images so that you have long names in both FreeBSD and
> Windows.
>
> > --
> > Sincerely etc.  Valery Zamarayev
> > http://www.sea.com.ua
>

> Dear Valery Zamarayev,
>
> I have been using "mkisofs -D -U -R": curious as it may seem, it works
> like charm for me. I can access all my backed-up freebsd files with no
> difficulty. I have even tried 9 levels of directory nesting. Not sure
> *if* and *where* I will hit the limit, if any ... :-)

Is this Rockridge that makes >8 levels of directories ?
I didn't try to create such images, so I won't tell you if mkhybrid works too.

> BTW, I issued some "diff -r" commands to make sure that my files had
> been correctly copied (safe paranoia).
yeah, that's ... wise

> Practically, I can save my freebsd trees with small to no changes in
> file names [wild screams of joy censored]

What surprises you so much in it ?

Note that I didn't say: don't use mkisofs, I just recommended mkhybrid
as I had successfully used it several times.

> Not yet tried -J (Joliet), but I could NOT care less about Winblows
> :-))

Then you must be happy.
because I have not to just administer FreeBSD, i.e. not just install a mail
server or a web server, but provide solutions for my company,
which includes a bit of windoze hacking too (hope this will change some day ...)