Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:24:28 -0500
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        deimos <deimos@lewman.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 10:17:42PM -0500, deimos wrote:

> 	What about those of us with AWE64 GOLD boards?  The board itself does
> quite well with most PCI based boards available today.  As for upgrades,
> would a Vibra16 really count as an upgrade?
>
> 	If we're going to be forced to use newer boards, what about
> SoundBlaster Live, Diamond Fusion, and other modern Aureal/Dolby based
> PCI sound boards?  Will pcm support those out of the box, or are we now
> going to have to wait for some other driver to be developed?
>
> 	I'm all for progress, but I fail to see how going from my AWE64GOLD to
> a Vibra16 (or another lesser sound card) is going to be worth anything.
> If I'm going to be forced to ugprade, I'd rather get state of the art
> today; hoping it will last another 3 years as my current card has.

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xdcc0-0xdcff irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci1

SB64 works fine for me, I'm currently listening to 'RATM - No Shelter' and it
sounds great.

A beta SBLive driver is available right now, and new card drivers have been
coming in at a steady pace since Cameron took over. Extracting datasheets from
corporate whores is the largest roadblock at this point.

Naturally, your patches are just as welcome as anyone elses.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect
Computer Horizons Corp - CVM

PS. the voxware drivers aren't the answer either.