Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:49:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 4.x  - 3.x  - 2.x

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> Here's a short rundown of stuff that was important to me, keep in
> mind that these days FreeBSD is incrementing the major version number
> much more rapidly, in the old days they were more conservative.

I think it's more accurate to say they've changed the version
numbering system these days. You even reflect it: Changing the minor
number on 2.X (to 2.X+1) is similar to a major version number change
these days. JKH even commented about getting the version number back
when 3.0-RELEASE showed up.

	<mike

> 1.X  First public releases, based on BSD code later ruled "encumbered"
> (ie: BSD 4.3)
>
> 2.0.X  First major releases based on "unencumbered" code, ie: BSD 4.3 Lite
> (in actual practice well over 90% of the code was left alone in
> the conversion from encumbered to unencumbered)
>
> 2.1.X  Releases finally reached the stability of the 1.X releases.
> Probably last release you could tolerate in 4MB of ram.
>
> 2.2.X  Major variance included introduction of Divert Sockets (for
> natting and ipfw)
>
> 3.X  Shredded the SCSI subsystem and replaced it with CAM, broke a lot of
> older drivers, (arguably of junky hardware)  introduction of Symmectric
> Multiprocessing.  Last releases to support ESDI disks.
>
> 4.X  many new drivers, reworked VM system, vinum, softupdates, brought back
> a few old favorites (like the Adaptec 1520 driver)

4.X also replaced the old voxware snd drivers with the new pcm driver,
making audio playback setup a *lot* saner. It should be on by default
in GENERIC at some point.  Like the CAM move, it broke old hardware
(some of which is being resurrected). It also seems to have done a job
on recording, but my best platform for checking that is having the
issue confused by SMPng.

	<mike