Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 20:21:17 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        pat.groce@state.sd.us
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

On further thought, perhaps some people just don't have the mindset required to
be a network administrator.  Usually, my first thoughts when something breaks is
"What did I do wrong?" "What did I screw up?" or, "What did I change?" have you
noted the 'I' in all of those questions?  I imagine that even on the absolute
worst OS imaginable, human error is the number one source of problems.

I do technical support at small office and the primary problems I have to
troubleshoot end up sounding like "The COMPUTER stopped working," when in fact
the user innocently, and/or ignorantly messed up.  That is what I am there for,
that is what this list exists for.

Today I was trying to run a java program that started giving me java.lang.blah
exceptions.  What was the source of the problem?  I downloaded a new classes.zip
(Winblows 95) into my java directory.  Having foreseen a potential for some
screw up at this point, I had renamed the old file classes.zip.ORIGINAL.  Just
goes to show that with the proper precautions, any error is repairable, with the
proper precautions.

Remember, "What did I do wrong?"

Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu