Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 10:51:44 -0500
From:      <glbj@verizon.net>
To:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   getway forwarding and interface questions

I've managed to get the FreeBSD box to talk to MSN over this God-awful arescom modem/gateway/router they supply. However, I can't get the F-BSD box to fdorward packets from the windoze machine. I can ping from windows to F-bsd and from F-bsd to windoze. The setup that worked so successfully with Verizon in NJ was:

one ethernet interface "rl0"
all machines on 192.168.123.xx
running PPoE
gateway enabled

This obviously doesn't work here. The new setup first tried was:

One ethernet card "rl0" with 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.252 bound to it

192.168.123.xx aliased on rl0
gateway enabled
NO PPPoE since the arescom does that part

result: packets are not forwarded but F-BSD has access to the Net.

I decided to try using two Ethernet interfaces. When the second one was installed F-BSD found rl0 as usual, but then came up with rlphy0 for the second card. I've never seen or heard of rlphy0 before. Could that be a conflict with the first card?

Help !!!!!!

Oh...
And thanks for past assistance.