Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:08:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        ok@cc.gatech.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q]: How to limit bandwidth

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 ok@cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE running as a server.
> It has ppp0 as it's Internet connection (outer link), and
> several ed client interfaces. I need to limit the bandwidth of ppp0
> that can be utilized by a certain ip address/interface, i.e.
> ed0/194.44.xx.xx       2K/sec
> ed1/194.44.yy.yy       3K/sec
> etc.
>
> How can I do this ? What packages do I need ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Oleg Kolesnikov
> freebsd fan
> E-mail: ok@cc.gatech.edu

I do not believe you can do this in 2.2.6. An addition was made to the
firewall capabilities of FreeBSD in (I believe) 2.2.8. (could have been
2.2.7). It's called dummynet, it's in section 4 of the man pages, and it
sounds like just what you need.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.