Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:00:25 -0600
From:      asomers@gmail.com
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>, "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of the ATF tools

Speaking of backporting, has anybody yet merged Garrett's git branch
to a stable/9 based branch?  We're still basing our bsd.test.mk etc
off of a very old branch of Garrett's.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> On Jul 21, 2013, at 6:20 AM, Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net> wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand what the issue with bmake is.  Neither ATF nor Kyua
>> use make for anything -- and that's the whole point of having a tool
>> that implements the runtime engine for the tests!
>
> It's a build time dependency for tests to be built (and thus run), today.=
 For groups that need to backport test infrastructure to previous releases =
like 9.x, introducing instability by bringing in bmake is a non-starter as =
making bmake work when running buildworld pulls in a lot of external depend=
encies.

> I agreed to bmake a year ago because I was operating under the impression=
 that my work was going to make it into head before now and that parties in=
volved with that effort would have been more active working with me trying =
to get things to function.

>> The only place where bmake is used is in the NetBSD src tree to build
>> the tests...
>
> This is unfortunately an incorrect statement. bsd.test.mk requires bsd.pr=
ogs.mk, which only works with bmake. Similarly atf.test.mk uses bmake only =
idioms.

> I've conditionalized out this support on another it branch and will submi=
t it for inclusion into FreeBSD once my tests are done.