Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:43:41 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:45:37AM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:

> I have `resolved` my problem in some way. The modem is recognized at
> boot. I cannot provide much details for now, since it`s not yet fully
> functional. (see my other posting)
>
> I`ll just say for now that it was indeed a BIOS setting that solved the
> problem. Curiously, this also busted windows support for the modem!!! So
> now I can`t use my modem at all.. :(

Not really surprising. If I remember correctly, once W95 has allocated
an IRQ and address for a device it forces the BIOS to update it's
"resources table" so that on subsequent boots it always uses the same
(Windows determined) IRQ. By changing the "PnP OS" setting to "no" the
BIOS is assigning resources the way it wants to. Your Windows is
expecting the modem to be on a particular IRQ and not finding it so it
gives up.

Try completely removing your modem in Windows, doing the reboot, and
hopefully Windows will re-find it (with "PnP OS" set to "no" in your
BIOS should mean that Windows won't be able to f*!£ it up again.

> `later!
>
> A.
>
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > Just thought of something. Does your BIOS have a ``PnP OS'' option?.
> > If so, what is it set to, and what happens if you change it from "yes"
> > to "no" or vice versa.
> >
> > The last line of your pnpinfo(8) shows that the modem is not
> > initialized:
> >
> > -- card select # 0x0001
> >
> > CSN CIR2000 (0x0020320d), Serial Number 0xffffffff
> >
> > Logical device #0
> > IO:  0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000 0x0000
> > IRQ 0 0
> > DMA 4 4
> > IO range check 0x00 activate 0x00
> >
> > Maybe you need to let the BIOS initialize the card (PnP OS == "n")?
> >
> > > Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
> > > C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
> > > L'important ne serait que de voir
> >
> > If the image gives the illusion of knowledge(?)
> > It is what the ???????? for thought(?)
> > It is not important to know what is seen(?)
> >
> > --
> > 		4.4 - The number of the Beastie
> > 51.44°N  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve http://www.freebsd.org
> > 2.057°W  My Webpage http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~mark
> > mailto:marko@freebsd.org                http://www.radan.com
> >

> Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
> C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,
> L'important ne serait que de voir
>
> Lofofora

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie