Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:07:53 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Lawrence Sica <larry@interactivate.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Gregor <johng@vieo.com>, Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, leifn@neland.dk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, gjb@gbch.net
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Lawrence Sica wrote:

> Quoting Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I've committed these changes for cron to support DST change
> > to -current (see PR bin/24494 for description of my tests).
> > Everyone is welcome to test them out.
> > Please let me know if you encounter any problems caused by them
> > (and better do that before these changes would be MFCed to -stable
> > in a few weeks).
> >

> I thought the consensus was to make it a command line feature and have the old
> behavior by default?  Myself I get a little nervous when something as important
> as cron is changed without intensive testing and no way to go back to the older
> proven method.

Do you feel comfortable with the VM subsystem or SCSI subsystem
changed with about the same amount of testing ? Yet these subsystems
(as any core part of the kernel) are much more important than
cron and much more complicated. I'd actually say that any part
of the kernel used in a particular user's configuration is much
more important than cron just because it can bring much bigger
disaster.

> I'd feel alot more comfortable if these changes were made a command-line option
> as was discussed.  I for one cannot afford cron to break on any production
> servers as this could literally cost my comapny thousands of dollars if
> scheduled tasks fail because of this change.

You probably do not run -current on your production servers, do you ?
The whole purpose of -current is to test the changes before they
get into the production systems.

And, speaking of production systems, you probably do not have
any daily jobs scheduled between 1:00 and 2:59 AM ? Otherwise
you'd already have problems by now. And my changes do not touch
the other jobs.

That's not to say that I'm against the option idea, just to show
that this is not really a life-or-death issue.

-SB