Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 10:33:11 -0400
From:      witr@rwwa.com (Robert Withrow)
To:        arlie@dg.thepoint.net (Arlie Davis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help!  My FreeBSD TCP stack is broken?

arlie@news.thepoint.net (Arlie Davis) writes:

>The last machine, charon, has BIG problems.  From what I can tell, _any_
>TCP connection between charon and any other FreeBSD machine has the problem.
>The problem is that TCP sessions move very, very slowly.  Between a keypress
>and the echo of the character, there is a delay of more than 5 seconds.
>(The total latency of the link is only around 240ms.)  Note that ICMP pings
>act as expected -- close to the link latency.

I have had similar behavior: ICMP_ECHO indicated low latency,
TCP throughput almost nonexistant.  I thought it was caused
by the BPF (because it happened when I compiled in BPF).  But
it went away after I rebooted.  I'm glad this happened to
you because in confirms my problem.  I'm sorry I can't help
though...  (BTW, my problems were with 2.0R (with the one
line patch to PPP).  My network link was PPP, but since
you had the problem with ethernet, it seems to be somthing
higher up than the IF code...

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 598 4480, Fax: +1 617 598 4430 Net: witr@rwwa.COM
     R.W. Withrow Associates, 319 Lynnway Suite 201, Lynn MA 01901 USA