Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:19:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      <bangel@elite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem upgrading 3.4 -> 4.0

Hi

I was upgrading 3.4 to 4.0 stable (doing the make world)
and something happened halfway through make installworld.
I had to stop and start it over. Me, being stupid, rebooted the machine.
It was all screwed, but I got it too boot.

Now when trying to re-build 4.0-stable I get this:
>>> stage 4: building libraries
<snip>
cd /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf; make _EXTRADEPEND
cc -O -pipe -elf -Wall -fkeep-inline-functions
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/inclu
de -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c -o crt1.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 12
*** Error code 1

etc.

I've make clean'd and cvsup'd new source to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas? (gdb on cc1 doesnt tell me anything good)
I think it may have something to do with the libraries in my /usr/lib, but
from what I can tell in the Makefile, it uses its own library path.

Note: I had this problem with '/bin/chmod' so I copied chmod from another
3.4 system. The reason this is perplexing me is because 'cc1' is built
right then, its not the old /usr/libexec/cc1 , its in /usr/obj/usr/src/i386...

Thanks,
Keith Simonsen