Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 1996 23:03:51 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Christopher D. Cofer" <cofer@www.cas.unt.edu>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, Kevin Swanson <Kevin_Swanson@blacksmith.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

>On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Michael Smith wrote:
>> Kevin Swanson stands accused of saying:
>
>> > I've seen that some people have have used Digi PC/8 boards for this
>> >type of thing? Digi also has "intelligent" models (PC/Xe, PC/Xr,
>> >PC/Xem) that have a front-end processor and don't require an interrupt
>> >on the computer? Has anybody gotten these "intelligent" boards to work
>> >with freebsd 2.1?
>>
>> Of course, but any "intelligent" serial board will conflict with your
>> "save some money" requirement; the cost per port is over double that
>> of a "dumb" card, and in your case it's not warranted.
>
>The question remains... Does FreeBSD work with "intelligent" digboard
>cards.  I have a machine that I would like to route between ppp and
>local net.  I choose Linux to do so, since at the time all I could find
>about BSD and digiboard PC/Xe was that it was not possible.  If this has
>changed, would someone please point me to the correct information about
>setting this up.  I am getting tired of messing with Linux.

Digiboard isn't the only company that makes multiport cards.  I think
I've seen posts alluding to Digiboard support, but that's as much as I
know about Digiboard.

Cyclades makes quite decent eight and sixteen port cards.

If you already spent a bunch of money on Digiboards, well...  good
luck. :-)  If you can buy a Cyclades to try it out, go for it -- I
*know* they work, because I am running one on FreeBSD right now.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.