Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 20:35:51 -0800
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        dgy@rtd.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9 track tapes?????

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org Sun Feb 16 17:09:43 1997
> From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
> Subject: Re: 9 track tapes?????
> To: dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson)
> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:54:26 -0700 (MST)
> Cc: cmadison@tippy2.vnet.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> It seems that Dan Nelson said:
> > In the last episode (Feb 16), Chris Madison said:
> > >
> > > Has anyone successfully used a 9 track tape with a FreeBSD box?
> > > If so, I would LOVE to hear what HW was involved and how:-)
> >
> > 9-track tape drives work just fine, as long as you have SCSI ones.  Old
> > tape drives with the Pertec interface (might look like 2 ribbon-cable
> > plugs next to each other) won't work, since there's no BSD driver for
> > the interface cards.
>
> Um, well *I'm* running a Cipher F880 w/ Pertec interface here and
> have been since 1.1-ish days.  Unfortunately, I've not been able
> to get any "publicly available" information on the characteristics
> of the Pertec interface (I've already figured out how the controller
> card I have works) and so I can't release my driver for public
> consumption.  :-(
>
> > Just treat them like regular tape drives, just a lot slower, bigger,
> > louder, and with a lot less capacity :)
>
> Yes, amazing how the DLT that sits next to my 9 track puts it
> to shame!  But, of course, 1600BPI 1/2 inch tape still has several
> appliaction domains where you're forced to comply if you want
> to participate  :-(  Hopefully that will change in the near future...
>
> --don

I'm working on an Overland Data TC-50, TC-50M driver for FreeBSD,
but it's a very back-burner activity.

The TC-50M works whilst interfaced to a _real_ IBM 8MHz 80286 PC/AT
with 2.5MB memory, 2 Seagate 106MB RLL drives. The old machine is
running Microport System V/AT (and has been since 1986) and has an
Overland Data driver. I have a Kennedy 800/1600bpi drive and a
1600/3200 drive from Qualstar. As you say, newer drives are so much
faster and larger and cheaper for storage that there's not much
reason for a driver for the old 9tr drives under FreeBSD. Except
that it pleases me to watch them spin.

Overland Data wouldn't supply any information at all on the interface
cards. I wonder if I'll choose them for the next big buy of SCSI
tape equipment at work? Heh :-)

I can still read installation tapes from Version 6, Version 7,
2.8bsd, and 2.9bsd with the Kennedy drive. That pleases me, too.

I also had a 500cps paper tape reader interfaced to the '286
by serial port. That was fun to watch, too. Only one paper
tape left, though, and that's just heirloom.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good