Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:43:04 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ldconfig not configuring NOT solved: followup (RTFM .RTFM RTFM ... )

Dear FreeBSD'ers,

I apologize for the previous very superficial question. I had missed
the Linux mode stuff <blushing like a primary school pupil not having
done his/her homework>

I RTFMed it. However, the problem is still there *re-sigh*

I ran the Linux ldconfig, ie /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -p | grep
ld:   it said  that ld-linux-so.2 WAS in the hints. Then I ran=20
/usr/compat/linux/ldconfig (no options). And yet I got the same
error when I launched "acroread4": ELF interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2
not found.

I made a copy of ld-2.1.2.so (the actual file referred to by
ld-linux.so.2) with suffix .orig, and I brandelfed -t Linux
ld.2.1.2.so. Alas, it did NOT work either.

I had a look at another slice (4-STABLE) of mine, where Acrobat Reader
4.05 works. BTW, the ld.so.cache was equal. I have not yet discovered
any illuminating difference in the /usr/compat/linux subtree.

**If** I fully understand the situation and if I am not missing other
pieces of the puzzle, the "syntax" is all right. Therefore the problem
should be "semantical". In other words, under 5-CURRENT (sources as of
25 April 9 GMT) the Linux mode does NOT work properly.

Please note: StarOffice 5.1a works whereas Acrobat Reader (which
requires the ld-linux.so.2 interpreter) does NOT.

This problem should not be related to the brandelf issue: I installed
the linux_base-6.1 and a couple of Linux-emulated ports (StarOffice,
Acrobat) *after* making the 5-CURRENT world. As I said in the previous
message, StarOffice works. And brandelfing acroread produces a file
*equal* to the non-brandelfed acroread.

What am I missing now ? Is the Linux mode just broken ?

Thanks in advance again for any help and best regards,
Salvo