Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:01:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ben Black <black@MR.Net>
To:        Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
Cc:        "Richie P. Bandales" <richieb@unet.net.ph>, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server

a full news feed that is ACTUALLY a full news feed is over 2GB/day.  get
rid of alt.binaries.* and you get under 1GB/day.  we expire the binaries
groups several times per day for this very reason.  also, news machines
serving lots of news need lots of RAM.  lots meaning 64MB or up.  all of
ours have 128MB, and i know of numerous sites with a lot more.

Ben
black@mr.net