Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:32:45 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vi(1) is for whimps

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999, Jesus Monroy wrote:
> vi(1) is for whimps
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/1986/viforwhimps.html

   Well, you should've posted that to -chat...

   Second, there are other things people use vi for.  You can't
add a sentence to a paragraph with cat as easily as you could
with vi, such as:

   So as I headed to the bakery to get some new bread, I decided
to stop at the newspaper stand and pick up the sunday paper.

   So as I headed to the bakery to get some new, delicious white
bread, I decided to stop at the newspaper stand to pick up the
Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle.

   vi is for people who want to get things done the right way
with a standard tool that is meant for editing files.

   If you want to be pedantic, you shouldn't use 'cat' at all for
editing files!  cat is meant to catenate two or more files to
stdout.

   Try ed.

   (Although, if taken properly, the page is a good laugh)

> ---
> "I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped,
> pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
> http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml

Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>
I bet the human brain is a kludge.  - Marvin Minsky