Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:54:24 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dan@langille.org
Subject:   Re: where to put tmp files for security/logcheck

On 10 Mar 2001, at 20:42, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 01:19:08PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > It's come to my attention (thanks Mr Fenner) that security/logcheck
> > creates /usr/local/etc/tmp for its own use but does not remove that
> > directory when the port is deleted.
> >
> > 1 - I'm not so such I like the idea of a port creating such a directory.
> > Why can't it just use /var/tmp like everyone else?  This would also
> > remove the need to create/remove a tmp directory.
> >
> > 2 - If I modify the port so it just removes /usr/local/etc/tmp when
> > pkg_delete is called, what's the downside?  Still, I don't like the idea of
> > creating directories just for tmp files.
> >
> > 3 - I've msg'd the author off-list to see what he thinks of this change.
>
> Blah.  etc/tmp is wrong.  hier(7) says:
>
>      /usr/    contains the majority of user utilities and applications
> [...]
>               local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
>                         default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
> 			Within local/, the general layout sketched out by
> 			hier(7) for /usr should be used.
> [...]
>      /var/    multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files
> [...]
>               tmp/       temporary files that are kept between system reboots
>
> IMO, /usr/local (${PREFIX} here) should be extended to include ${PREFIX}/var.

I hope I'm not the only one confused by that.  Via IRC, I've figured out
that Will means that the defintion in heir should be extended to include
should be extended to include ${PREFIX}/var.  And that I should create
and remove ${PREFIX}/var/tmp in the port.

How does that sound to others?

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php