Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:49:20 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?0JvRjtCx0L7QvNC40YAg0JPRgNC40LPQvtGA0L7Qsg==?= <nm.knife@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POWER3 / IBM 7028-6E1

On 10/19/11 02:59, Любомир Григоров wrote:
> I have AIX 5.1, but there isn't much I could do with it as the software is
> really limited + anything official is hard to get due to being outdated. I
> guess it is worth asking if the POWER3 CPU is supported by either the
> powerpc or the powerpc64 version of FreeBSD? I looked under Debian and they
> had support for POWER3 and the pSeries 610 (7025-6E1) under the powerpc
> kernel.
>
> I am wondering if the POWER3 CPU is supported in FreeBSD and which version
> should I try (powerpc or powerpc64)?
>
> Here are my system details:
> - 333 MHz POWER3-II 64-bit processor, 4 MB of L2 cache (I have yet to figure
> out if it's 1 or 2 way SMP, most likely 1 way)
> - 512 MB of ECC SDRAM
> - 18 GB Ultra3 SCSI HDD
> - Two 10/100 Ethernet (IEEE 802.3 compliant)
> - CD-ROM
> - Floppy
> - Tape Drive (I disconnected it, don't need it)
>
> Cheers.

I don't know a lot about POWER3. Your hardware isn't supported, for
sure. It's possible the 9.0 PowerPC builds do something on it, and it
would be interesting to see what if you feel like trying. If it manages
to print anything to console, it's possible support could be added. The
64-bit kernel will certainly not work, as it depends on the newer MMU
architecture introduced with the POWER4.
-Nathan