Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:25:52 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Andrew Iltchenko' <andrey@agama.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Please help me

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Andrew Iltchenko [SMTP:andrey@agama.com]
> Sent:	Wednesday, June 16, 1999 3:19 PM
> To:	freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:	Please help me
>=20
> I've done a terrible thing.
	[ML]  Yep.  You sure did--here is a conical hat for you <:)
> =9A
> The worst thing is that I was writing a project on this system and
> wrote lots of code. If I simply reinstall FreeBSD all my work will =
get
> lost!
	[ML]  Not neccessarily.  Hopefully the code you wrote resides on
a separate partition (i.e. in your /home which is on a partition of its
own).  In that case, you can reinstall, you just have to make sure that
you do not newfs the partition where the current /home resides.

	If this is not the case, you can try to use the fixit floppy in
order to dump the filesystem where your code resides, reinstall, and
restore the parts of the filesystem where your code was.

	You can also boot with fixit floppy and install the ld-so if you
can find the correct version somewhere else.  However, I expect that
other shared libraries will also be missing.

	Also, you can do the binary upgrade to 3.2, without newfsing the
already existing partitions (upgrade installation will overwrite the
still existing files, but will not touch--hopefully--your code because
the file names are different).

	/Marino