Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:31:06 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, GPGPU and OpenCL/CUDA

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 11:53:10AM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> First, and this
> hasn't changed since the last 15 years, FreeBSD lack in support of
> professional Compiler vendors.

I feel your pain.

I'd say that at present FBSD cannot be used as HPC platform.

Even if some things are possible to achive via linux-base, why bother?

I think the real question is: What are the goals of the FreeBSD project?
Or, in other words, for which tasks FBSD is preferable to linux?
It seems the answer is something about secure network server.
Definitely not HPC.. unfortunately.

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building