Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:53:36 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is the C-shell (csh) a bad shell?

--VSMi1UXgOp435K5S

David J. Kanter wrote:

> I'd like to learn a shell fairly well and chose csh because it's in the b=
ase
> FreeBSD system (a little graybeard character) and I found good documentat=
ion
> on it written by William Joy. But I've read some things that it's a "bad"
> shell.

Most people agree it's bad for programming shell scripts with.  But for
interactive use, I don't think it's generally agreed that csh is bad.
Everyone likes different shells for different reasons, of course, and
this is a bit of a religious topic.  If you want to use csh, great, but
please don't write any csh scripts! :-)

> It seems that, at some level, all shells are essentially equal. But when
> shells start to divide is csh left in the dust?

You might like to look at tcsh as well, which is in the base system
in recent FreeBSD releases, or in the ports if you're using an older
release.  It's basically a newer and more advanced csh.

> What about the shells I've read rave things about: Korn and Bash.

I personally like Zsh best.  It's not as well known as Bash or Korn, but
it has some very nice features.

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /