Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:42:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newer pine?

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Cliff Addy wrote:

> I was very disappointed to see that the 2.1.6 cd did not have a port of
> the latest pine.  We have a constant problem with the current port when
> the user loses their connection, the process runs wild, eating 80% of the
> cpu time.
>
> Supposedly this is a known bug that is fixed in the latest pine.  I tried
> compiling the source, but there is no direct support of fbsd and I could
> not get it working.
>
> Will the newer version be ported soon?  Barring that, does anyone know
> what needs to be hacked to get a good compile on the newer code?

Pine 3.95 fixes many of the nasty bugs in 3.91, plus it's had a good 2x or
3x speed increase and now you have progress bars and 'I'm working' type
messages so you know that your telnet connection hasn't gone on vacation,
it's just Pine working in the background.

3.95 will compile file if you specify the 'netbsd' target.  The mouse
stuff will complain but it doesn't work too well anyway -- you would be
the better to disable it.  This box is actually using 3.94 without any
major problems, and our master mail server is on 3.95 with likewise, no
probs to report.