From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problems on Dell PowerEdge 6100/200

Hi,

we've got a Dell PowerEdge 6100/200 here, which is an older
SMP server, featuring 4 PPro 200 CPU's two internal AIC7880
channels and an Adaptec 2940UW PCI controller. One of the
AIC's is connected to a SCA Backplane that holds 4 disks.

Now before even having a chance to see if FreeBSD-SMP
works with this box, I didn't manage to install FreeBSD
(4.1) correctly. Well, installation seems to go well in
any attempt:

- Floppy boots, Kernel finds all ahc's and disks
- Installation seems to succeed (Partitioning, installation, etc)

But then, the machine won't boot. It seems to happen, that the
MBR of the target device (da0, which is the first disk on the
second controller, channel A of internal AIC's) is found, but
the next stage of the bootstrapping process cannot be found.
I played also around using boot0 and installing on other disks,
this is like what I got:

Standard MBR and System on da0: -> Missing operating system
boot0 MBR and System on da0:    -> F1 -> *beep* (nothing else)
boot0 MBR (and old System) on da0, standard MBR and System on da1:
booting from da0: F1 -> *beep*, F5 (disk2) -> Missing operating system
booting from da1: -> Missing operating system

So it seems no boot-block after the MBR can be found.

I tried: - installing and booting from different disks on internal ahc
         - disabling some of the controllers
         - installing and booting from a disk on the 2940,
           as well while disabling the others

It all had no effect.

All adaptec's BIOS has Disks > 1GB and INT13 enabled (of course the
BIOS itself is enabled, too)

Previously Solaris 7/x86 was running on this machine, there
were no such problems, but we don't really want to run Solaris... :-}

Any clue ?

Many thanks,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock  - My name is Pentium of Borg, division is futile, you
                                                will be approximated. -

--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                      - May His Shadow fall upon thee -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 25735 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*