Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:22:54 -0400
From:      "Dave" <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   forward root mail with qmail install on FreeBSD 4.3

normally to redirect root mail to another server account (centralized root mail
account) would involve simply indicating the target account@domain.name in
/etc/aliases, newaliases, and voila.  With qmail and associated programs
installed, newaliases now (understandably) points to /var/qmail/bin/newaliases
which is nonexistant (on all 5 servers with same setup).

on a server with the qmail solution functioning perfectly, cannot seem to
redirect root mail (cron errors, daily system reports and so forth) from the
server to the account on a sister server.  Sendmail is disabled. qmail is the
only mail transport.  both machines are same netwoek, same domian name (read "me
contains mydomain.com" on both) but the target machine is the primary mail
handler for the domain the servers beloong to, and the machine in question hosts
virtual domains for clients.

/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root et.al. files containing the emails of the accounts
to receive mail for root are in place and correct.  The system still generates
root messages(daily security outputs and such) which are not being forwarded to
the addresses indicated.  Qmail is functioning correctly for all other mail
processed through the server, for numerous domains. virtual root addresses are
not the problem, the actual "server root" address is the problem for system
generated messages.

could the problem be that the default domain for all servers is "mydomain.com"
so that when server2(the server hosting multiple other domains that we are
trying to send root messages from) sees the
alias to sysadmin@mydomain.com it tries to send that to qmail on server2 rather
than server1 (actual mail server for mydomain.com)

(hope we didn't lose anyone there)

I would expect that qmail would perform a mx lookup to see where mail for
mydomain.com is to be delivered, and contact the appropriate server, though this
does not appear to be happening.

Sorry for teh long-winded explanation... am clearly missing something trivial...
can't see the forest for the trees type of problem now I think.

Appreciate any insight

Dave