Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:43:28 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   geom_sched usage

--nextPart1317096.xfUj6sXRYQ

Hi,

I've used geom_sched to some success.  Normally I do not notice anything bu=
t=20
today I was copying big files over a gigabit ethernet and my laptop was not=
=20
very responsive.  I loaded gsched and the responsiveness improved (although=
=20
still rather bad for anything requiring something from the HDD). =20

Thank you for all this work :-)

Some questions I have:

 - with a gmirror should the gsched be attached to the underlying devices (=
aka=20
/dev/ad?) or to the mirror device (aka /dev/mirror/?)?

 - is there anyway to automatically attach gsched to a device on startup (i=
=2Ee.=20
in rc.conf)?

 - is there a way to prioritise random IO (vs sequential reads from big=20
files)?

 - gsched_as does not appear to be installed. =20

Regards,

David