Date:      04 Feb 2002 00:38:50 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompas-media.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple HFS filesystem mountable?

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 19:17, Bas v.d. Wiel wrote:
> Hi all,
> After experimenting with Netatalk/Samba as a server for a mixed environment
> with NT and Mac clients I started wondering whether I could mount Mac HFS
> volumes. It'd be nice to have this option for serving the occasional HFS-CD,
> nothing mission-critical really. The ports collection doesn't give any
> convincing HFS support, neither does a search on Google. It did turn out
> that Linux supports HFS but I prefer BSD.

There are two ports, /usr/ports/emulators/hfs, and
/usr/ports/emulators/hfsutils that give you some degree of HFS
compatibility.

> Is there a 'mount' command that lets me hook HFS disks up to my unix
> filesystem? If not, are there any plans to create such an option? Will we
> see it anytime soon in -STABLE? I don't know much about Mac OS X, but I'd
> guess it doesn't use traditional HFS so maybe my question is rapidly
> becoming redundant..

Mac OS X uses HFS+, and I'm not sure if the HFS ports support this.  OS
X can also use good old UFS, but most people don't use that since it's
not compatible with Classic.

> If nothing works, I can still pump the CD's across the LAN to my Netatalk
> test server which does an abolutely wonderful job, coexists nicely with
> Samba 2.2.2 and is rock solid. I'm growing more and more fond of FreeBSD
> every day!!

The Netatalk project is always looking for ways to improve.  It's good
to hear you're having a positive experience.

Joe