Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:36:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        Jerry.Kendall@vmicls.com (Jerry Kendall)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling Linux Binaries under FreeBSD

> > From owner-freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org Thu Nov  9 17:19:06 1995
> > From: Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
> > Subject: Re: Compiling Linux Binaries under FreeBSD
> > To: mjb@siva.apana.org.au (Marcus Barczak)
> > Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:00:56 -0800 (PST)
> > Cc: apana-lists-os-freebsd-hackers@apana.org.au
> >

> > > Wouldn't it be just as easy to create a small 60 or so meg partition
> > > and just install the development tools.
> > >
> > you could chroot to a linux partition and run an 'all linux'
> > environment while running FreeBSD :)
> >

> Not a complaint here, BUT, why would someone want to
> compile and run all the LINUX binaries while running FreeBSD ???
>
> Seems to me, if you want to run Linux, then run it. Don't emulate it
> under FreeBSD. Unless of course, FreeBSD can emulate it faster/better
> than Linux can run it(the programs I mean).
If you onlty have one machine but want to compile for both linux and freeBSD,
and you can't affort to reboot your machine (i.e. it's your mailserver etc.)

then it makes sense it have one xterm in 'normal space' and one in 'linux space'

where  'linux space' is a ext2fs partition(or bsd part), populated with
linux binaries,  and chroot'd to..

certainly good for comparing how differnt tools act, checking out
the differences in the man pages, etc. etc.

julian