Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:28:39 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <RoKlein@roklein.de>, "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Ted writes:

> If the Xserver is properly written you cannot lock
> up or crash your system with KDE or any other buggy
> window manager.

I am reassured.

I assume that XFree86 is the X Server in this case?  At least I recall
installing that before I installed KDE.

My own guess is that the environment exposed a bug in a video driver or
something (I'm using a generic driver with a GeForce video card, although I'm
just using a relatively vanilla 1024x768 video mode).  A bug in a driver could
obviously crash the OS, since drivers must be trusted.

> Sure you can cause the window manager to dump core
> or whatever ...

KDE takes a core dump every time I log out of it.  Not very reassuring.

> Even an Xserver that isn't necessairly buggy but
> instead gets something back that's unexpected from
> the video card chipset can do this.

That would make sense in my case.  Of course, it still makes the GUI environment
that caused it too unstable to use.

> It's not the best thing from a stability standpoint
> to run the Xserver on the same system that you want
> to run the X clients on.

But isn't that exactly what most people are doing, when they try to use FreeBSD
as a replacement for Windows?

I wouldn't mind running the server on my Windows machine, but no X Server for
Windows seems to cost less than $250-$500 dollars.  In fact, I'd actually prefer
to run the server on my Windows machine, as I treat FreeBSD as a server machine,
not a separate desktop.