Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 16:42:01 -0400
From:      "Wei Hua Ni" <whni@mie.utoronto.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Asking for help

Hi there,

 Recently I installed FreeBSD 3.1 on my IBM clone machine, which has an
AMD-K6/233 CPU, 64 MB RAM and MS windows 98 as well. The installation
process was fine, but I can’t make my bubble jet printer (Canon’s BJ-200ex)
to work with FreeBSD 3.1. I followed the instructions on chapter 14 of The
Complete FreeBSD (2 second edition) and section 7 of FreeBSD handbook. I
checked for the existence of all the directories and files mentioned in file
/etc/printcap, seeing no problem, but the result of command “lptest 20 5 |
lpr” is always two line error messages. One is “lpr: connect: No such file
or directory”, another line is “job queued, but cannot start daemon”. If I
issue command “ lptest > /dev/lpt0”, the result is full page of digits and
characters. I don’t know what I did wrong or what step I missed, could you
give some hints?

Thank you in advance.