Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 17:40:48 +0200
From:      Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org>
To:        kde-devel@kde.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ exception handling and non Linux platforms

Arun Sharma wrote:

> Most non Linux platforms do not link in libgcc.a by default. libkhtml.so
> uses exception handling. So it has undefined references to __eh_rtime_match
> etc.
>
> A stand alone binary like konqueror or khelpcenter does not have libgcc.a
> linked in the current build system. Therefore, they crash at runtime,
> when they dlopen(3) libkhtml.so and do not find __eh_rtime_match.
>
> I've found that linking such executables with -lgcc -Wl,-export-symbols
> fixes the problem. Can someone make the right changes to the build
> system for this ?

It's not that easy to do it right. But the new libtool (which is not yet
in our HEAD branch) has support for all kind of weired platform/compilers,
so you can do that. I'm collecting votes to put the instability issues
that come with the new libtool - and I count yours in :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Programmers, heed this: If someone starts asking you about
agricultural genomes, it's likely time to get a handler.