Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386 jvm on an amd64...

(this is with ports built jdk1.5.0-p4)

I am trying to run an i386 jvm on an amd64 architecture (and installed as
such machine).  I get 2 classes of problems, the first is where it is
unable (for an unknown reason) to find the libjvm.so file.  I have fixed
this via an ldconfig -32 -m .... and the next is libverify.so which I also
address via a ldconfig -32 -m.. at that point however the java process
simply segfaults.

A couple of questsions... why is this even needed?  a review of a ktrace
indicates that the java process DOES fine the libjvm and libverify.so
files, then it exec(2)'s itself (?!?) and at that point it cannot find
them again without the ldconfig magic.  Why isn't an amd64 build affected?
(shouldn't to the jvm this be the same as running on an i386 system?)
Note that this i386 build works fine on the i386 hardware.

Also how do I fix this?  I was via some magic last night able to get it
going, but said magic is escaping me today.

--
David E. Cross