Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 01:19:21 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>
Cc:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine crashing

Samy Touati wrote:

> No panic a simple reboot.
> It's not a memory problem and here's why:
>
> network <---> A <-----> B <-----> C
>
> I have a network, and machine A connected via ethernet to a network of sun.
> Manchine A is connected to machine B via a ppp link.
> Machine B is connected to machine C via ethernet.
> Machine A and B are FBSD 2.1, machine C is an IPX with solaris 2.5.
> Machine A uses proxyarp  with machine B.
> Machine B and C has a different set of IP addresses.
>
> If I display an X application from the network to be displayed on machine
> B it works just fine.
> If I display the same X application on machine C it will work for a
> couple of minutes before A reboots.
>
> On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Stephen Hovey wrote:
>
> > Do you get a panic? what panic number?  I would be more inclined to think
> > it was a ram problem.
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Samy Touati wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Can a Freebsd machine crash if it's overloaded by ethernet traffic?
> > > I have a freebsd machine (DX33 486) with a WD ethernet card and a
> > > motorola bitsurfr pro. This machine acts as a router to another network
> > > via a ppp link.
> > > When I establish a connection I'm having a crash of my router as soon as
> > > I start displaying X application remotely.
> > > Can a fbsd 2.1 machine just crash by rebooting if it's overloaded wich
> > > is not the case (using top).
> > >

> > > Samy

I had this problem untill today, I just thought I had a bad simm
or two, Didn't suprize me, They were old and have been in and out
more times then ... ... So today I went and bought 4 4m30p simms
and it still did the same darn thing, So I got to digging in
CMOS and low and behold what did I find!
Wait state = 0
I set it to 1 and I have yet to have a unwanted re-boot!

Thats was ~12 hours ago. I was *very* lucky to go 30 minutes
when compiling before! I hated rebuilding kernels!
I would have to go single and it would make it through about
2 times out of 5.. I wound up building kernels on a nfs mounted
16meg 386-40 (HOT-307)

The part that really burns me is I ASSUMED that It was as always!
A wait state of 1. What it should be.
And I had been tweeking the cache and various other settings
always overlooking the wait state!  Arrrg!

There was another good side, I got a call this afternoon
for 4 4m30p simms, I sold em.. :)
I don't stock 30 pinners anymore!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848